Mar 12, 2010

The Games We Play

Eva is growing up so fast.  Already she's moved from being a fragile newborn to a chunky-ing infant that feels solid in my hands.  One of the things that Alison and I think regularly is that we like her in this stage.  But, then again, we liked her in the new-born stage (minus the bed-time struggles).  A few different people have told me this week that each stage brings its own challenges.  The other day, we were walking at one of the cornices and so we stopped and Eva had her first park play time (unfortunately, all those pictures are on my phone). 

However, she is getting old enough to play with!  We play so many games with her, and I've decided that some other people might even find it interesting.
  • Push: basically, while most of Eva's weight is supported by Alison or I, she likes to push up with her legs.  Often, she is leaning on my shoulder looking behind me while I hold her legs
  • Perch:  she will basically lay on my shoulder - her stomach on my shoulder - looking out behind me.  Sometimes I'll walk around the apartment while doing things and she'll just sit on my shoulder, on top of the world.
  • Diaper Change:  there are few places where she smiles as much as on the changing table.  This means she spends a little extra time before and after the changing process getting and giving smiles. 
  • Punch Millie the Moose:  we have a play mat on the floor with a stuffed moose that hangs within punching distance.  Now that she is gaining more control over her appendages, she has started hitting at Millie.  As she does, she makes cooing and laughing noises. 
  • Sit on daddy's chest while he's laying down and smile at him while he blows on her face: that one's pretty self explanatory (Alison would like me to clarify that she does this with mommy, too)
  • Dancing to TobyMac and Gritz:  She sits on mommy's lap while mommy moves her arms about.  And sometimes when the music is still playing but Alison has stopped moving her, she'll still wiggle and squirm! (I prefer the chicken dance myself)
  • Fight the Man:  We have a fantastic swing that Alison's mom bought us - battery powered swing that goes as long as its switched on.  She doesn't play as much as give an intense look letting us know that she's onto our tricks and that she refuses to fall asleep.  She usually looses that game. 
  • Grabbing:  We've started putting small toys into her hands for her to grab onto and hold.  She seems to wiggle more when she's got something in her hands (game courtesy of Brenda L).
  • Mirror:  when Eva's on her floor mat, Alison will lay with her head next to Eva's and then put a mirror above them to look at.  Eva loves this game.  She starts 'talking' and cooing at the pretty girl in the mirror, and then will stick her tongue out in response to Alison doing the same.  
Mirror is one of the best games, so I've decided to include a video of it here.  I don't think she sticks her tongue out, but she does the smiling bit pretty good!



Oh - I also realized that I had already uploaded a video of Eva playing "Fight the Man".  This is just after the swing was bought.






And just because I can, my new favorite picture of my daughter and I:  "I love daddy!" 


No comments:

Post a Comment