May 22, 2010

Sometimes Close is What Makes You Happy

The other day a restaurant menu was left on our door.  Or on our windsheild - I'm not sure.  It was for a new restaurant that advetised delivery.  We don't often do delivery (even though EVERY restaurant delivers), and I particularly don't enjoy calling because of the language barrier.  Its sometimes all we can do to communicate with people when we're with them.  Phone conversations can turn futile.  However, we hadn't eaten dinner and didn't feel like making dinner, so we decided to order in.

I called the restaurant and it took a few tries to establish that I wanted delivery.  Once we did, I stumbled my way through ordering the following

  • Onion Rings
  • Chicken Tikka
  • Beef Tikka 
  • Hummous (with bread). 

There was confusion at every point, and I don't think I clearly established what size of each of these I wanted.  But we all ended that portion with feigned confidence, and then attempted to determine where the food should be delivered.  That one seemed even less successful... My friend gave up on that one pretty quick and handed me over to someone that could clearly and accurately find out my address.

After about half an hour (pretty speedy by most standards we've found), the doorbell rung and our food had arrived.  I asked him how much, and he said BD1.6 ($4).  Pretty good!  But I still hadn't seen what was inside.  Alison and I sat down and started pulling our food out, and we found:
  • Onion Rings (check) 
  • Chicken Tikka (check) 
  • Hammour Filet (Hammour is fish - which sounds like Hummous, I guess) 

No beef tikka.  I guess he thought that I had changed my mind from Beef to Chicken.  No problem - what we did get was more food than I thought, so we ended up full with food that tasted good.  Sometimes close is what makes you happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment