Mar 19, 2012

Donald Peterson: 1917 - 2012

My grandfather, my mothers father, passed away yesterday at the age of 95. While the death carries sadness, the memories and legacy of my grandfather far outweigh any sadness. 

A Patriarch: my grandpa did not grow up in a Christian home, and he saw first hand the destructive power that alcohol can have on a family. However, he became a follower of Jesus in his teenage years, and after serving in the military during World War II in Morrocco, married and returned as a pastor. After Morrocco, they moved to Alaska and then on to retirement. But it was with him that God's faithfulness finds one of its key starting points in my line of the family. Three daughters, 11 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren (and counting!) are the legacy that he leaves behind.  And while I saw his frail body with my physical eyes, my mind's eye saw a titan - not because he was strong (physically or otherwise) in his own right, but a titan of the faith.  Someone who loved God and served him fiercely.

"Well done, good and faithful servant." 8 years ago I traveled to Florida to visit my grandparents on both sides to attempt to get some family history. I heard all about how my grandpa became a Christian, how he met my grandma, moved overseas and back, and raised three daughters. While he talked about their time in Morrocco, his heart became heavy as he wondered whether the 20 years they spent there even made a difference. He and my grandmother toiled in the Gospel for two decades, sharing the love of Jesus, but seeing little fruit. Phrases like "when seeds are planted, we don't always see the fruit" didn't seem to have much comfort, true they may be. But I am confident that now, as he stands before God in heaven, that the loving Father will look upon him and say, "Well done, good and faithful servant. Enter into the joy of your master." All question of the Father's approval have been laid to rest that affirmation. All wonder at whether it 'was enough' is answered with that invitation. My grandfather now knows, fully, the width, height, and breadth that is the love of Christ.

There is always sadness that accompanies death, but my grandpa's passing into God's presence is also a cause for happiness. He led a life that was faithful to his calling from God as a father, husband, and pastor. His fruit is seen in his children, his children's children, and as far as I can tell now, even in his children's children's children. Four generations of faithfulness flowing out of his start. Praise God for long, faithful lineages.

Eva with her Great Grandfather, July 2010
From Summer '10

3 comments:

ron.barry said...

Wonderful to see a the life of a man whose hand does not leave the plow...good and faithful servant...indeed.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your loss, Josh. Blessings on your family! ~Ryan L

Alice H said...

Thank you for sharing this, Josh. God did a great work in his life, didn't he?

Post a Comment