May 26, 2009

An Appreciation of Opposable Thumbs

I think I was thinking the other day, "Whats the big deal about opposable thumbs? I mean... it can't be THAT big of a help can it?"

I'm not really sure why I thought that. I think I had my thumb holding one thing and then I was using the other four fingers for something else (I realize the almost irony that my having this thought was really the result of using my opposable thumb). Anyway, I was using my other four fingers for something else and I felt like I was doing just fine.

Well, this morning, I went to peel some carrots for lunch, like I do many mornings. The peeler was still dirty, and I didn't feel like washing everything. So I was rinsing it under the sink, with one hand (my other hand had the carrots, peanut butter and bread), holding it and rubbing it with my thumb. Of course, I cut my thumb. Blood everywhere. Very gruesome.

After stopping (most) of the bleeding, putting a band-aid on it and having my wife kiss my wound, I had to now maneuver through my morning without a thumb. Oh the irony. Here are some things you should try to do with out even ONE opposable thumb:
  • making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich
  • buttoning up your shirt
  • putting on a belt
  • writing comments on 11th graders' essays
Yeah... good times. Now the wound ha mostly healed and I took off the band-aid. So I should be fine now. I've learned my lesson. Two thumbs up for opposable thumbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment