May 19, 2009

I am James Bond

There's no big news to share at the moment, just the hum-drum of normal life. I guess here are a few highlights of the last few weeks:

1) Entertainment: Lost - If you watch it, you know its awesome. If you don't... its like trying to explain a 3 dimensional world to a two dimensional creature. You just have not context for it. On a semi-related note: Star Trek was phenomenal. Everyone should go see it.

2) School: the seniors finish classes this week, and then have exams next week. This is nice for both alison and I as our class load shrinks a little bit. However, we only have 3 more weeks until the rest of the students are done. I, for one, am scrambling a little bit, trying to squeeze every last drop of life and joy out of my students by making them suffer in my class. Or, at least that's the story they would tell you.

Alison and I also chaperoned a school dance last night. I was really impressed with the organization by the 11th graders. I also got to wear a black suit and bow tie. Very James Bond-ish. I will post a picture when I get one.

3) Good Times: We went out with some friends on their boat a few weeks ago. We were up and at 'em by 7:30 and on the water by 9am. Awesome. We went to an island about 10km off the shore of Bahrain, which is actually just a sandbar until the tide goes out. It then turns into a 10 foot wide, 2km long island on which you can make sand castles and fish from.

4) Snorkel Gear: I am on a mission to use the snorkel gear my parents bought for Alison and I last summer. I've used it in Lake Michigan (too cold/cloudy), Malyasia (no marine life), UAE (too much toxic algae) and now in Bahrain. I am proud to say that yes, it does work. I found some white fish about a foot long, some seaweed and some clams that may or may not have had pearls in them.

I'm sure more exciting things will happen in the future, but you will just have to be patient.

1 comment:

Steponic's Economics said...

Explain a three-dimensional world to a two-dimensional creature... Hmmm... Seems like someone wrote a book like that. Have you read Edwin Abbot's "Flatland"? I've got a copy for you if you haven't...

Post a Comment