Aug 24, 2009

A Book Review; Tidbits; Ramadan

One of the best fiction books I've read, and one of the only books I've read more than once. Yes, its about rabbits - but its a fantastic epic-hero story. If you have a chance, read the book. Its a children s book (along the reading level of the Harry Potter books), so it reads fairly easily and quickly.

In other news:
  • Going to concentrate on my next book: The Secrets of the Baby Whisperer (Tracy Hogg). I've started it already, and she makes it sound like having an infant is about as easy as having a stuffed animal - if you treat him/her just right! I'm sure it is... I'm sure it is... I think part of her appeal (to Americans, at least) is that she's British. She uses lots of "british" phrases and it all conjures up images of Mary Poppins and the like - the nanny who swoops in and magically fixes all of the children's problems.
  • We didn't get to have the ultrasound last Sunday like we were hoping for, so still no word yet on the gender. We've rescheduled for Thursday at 6:30pm. (on a related note - after this and the fiasco with British Air, I'm going to start carrying around a receipt book with me and billing people BD10 for wasting my time).
  • I've officially started both my jobs: teaching English at the ACEC and working for our church as the community relations coordinator. I'm really looking forward to it!

Ramadan has started, the month of fasting for Muslims. This means it is law that people cannot eat or drink in public (which I accidentally did the other day... oops!). Muslims fast during the daylight hours, from dawn until dusk every day for around 28 days. At night they are able to eat, and this usually means visiting family (and clogging up the roads going to visit those families). It doesn't sound like that big a deal to fast during the day, but its actually quite difficult. Doing one or two days like that isn't so bad, but if you stretch it out for a month... well - you get tired of being tired and hungry every day. Especially in the heat. I know because I fasted during Ramadan the first year I was here. It was pretty intense.

No comments:

Post a Comment