Oct 17, 2009

"How I Know My Wife Loves Me" or "Treasures Found" or "Alhumdilla!"

My Grandparents lived in Morocco for 20 years back in the 1950's and 1960's, and I have often been struck by how different a life I lead compared to them. When they left America, they quite literally left America. Friends and family were distant and the comforts of familiar foods and other products were tasted only every few years.

Alison and I however, can enjoy much of what American companies have to offer, such as Caribou Coffee, Gilmore Girls from the DVD rental store, and over priced clothing stores such as Gap if we (read: alison) so choose.

However, there are certain amenities that have not yet reached Bahrain, or hardly ever show up at stores. These products, if they ever do reach the stores' shelves, are often sold out very quickly because the supermarkets do not keep them in stock. One such item is one of my favorites: Triscuits.

Any student who has had me for economics knows that I love Triscuits (I would often use it in examples). My favorite snack by far is Triscuits and pepper jack cheese. For the most part, I have only been able to enjoy Triscuits while in the States or when someone I know who works at the US Naval base (the base has their their own grocery store stocked with American products) "happens" to have an extra box that they "aren't going to eat".

We heard from some friends that one of the stores is currently carrying Triscuits, and we saw the evidence whilst watching their kids for them the other night. Inspired by this, we trekked out to the grocery store today and, as luck would have it, found the shelf where a few boxes of triscuits still straggled - looking for a home.

Find a home they will - right in my belly! Alison bought up the last 5 boxes of original flavor triscuits and some pepper jack cheese. Al Humdillah!!

The question now is how often we will consume them. They are a precious commodity, and I don't want to eat them willy-nilly. I would rather savor them and make the most of each suculent bite. In fact, Alison has just sat down next to me with an open box and some pepper-jack cheese. So now, in fact, would be a fan-TA-stic time to eat some triscuits.

What makes this snack so good? Let me tell you. 1) The crunch, texture and heartiness of the triscuit itself. 2) the cheese taste mixed in with that excellent crunch 3) the slight bite of the peppers to top it off... And, as Alison says in a fantastic American accent 4) "They're 'Merican!"

Indeed they are. Indeed they are.


2 comments:

Kate Webb said...

Sorry we didn't have any pepper jack cheese around the other night!

Steponic's Economics said...

In honor of your post, I used Triscuits as an example in class today. All but one of my students had no clue what they were.

The one who did, however, sang their praises. He called them "happiness in a box". Thought you'd like that...

Post a Comment