Sep 19, 2010

Elections in Bahrain

If you've met me before, you know that I like politics.  I'm a bit of a news junkie and like to watch cable news when we're in the states.  And this year in Bahrain are the elections for the lower parliament.  According to Bahrain's constitution, there is a lower parliament that is elected (similar to the house of representatives) and another "house" that is appointed by the king.

This will be my second election cycle in Bahrain - the first being the very first year that I moved out here.  That year I was able to visit some of the election tents.  Candidates will often set up tents in the constituencies that they are running in that serve tea, have lots of couches and music playing.  People will come and hang out and get to know the candidate.  To be honest - when we went, I'm not sure how many were people were 'voters being courted' and how many were people who were a part of the campaign (though its probably a blurry line anyways).

Elections will be on October 23, and I'm interested following it (regardless of how little I will actually know).  I'm also interested in seeing if I can find an election tent in our area.  I always enjoy talking with politicians and hearing their views and how they are interested in helping the people around them.  Here are some of the similarities and differences (and other random pieces of information):

  1. One of the big differences is that the "campaign season" is only from the middle of September till the elections on October 23.  To be honest, I'm not sure that US presidential candidates need what is essentially two years to build up their campaigns.   Don't get me wrong - its an important office.  But it seems a little blown out of proportion. 
  2. The age to be eligible to vote is 20 years, not 18.  Not a huge difference, but I like useless information. 
  3. Other voting requirements:  must either 1) be a Bahraini nationalized citizen 2) permanent resident with a GCC (Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar or Oman) passport or 3) own land (which, if you're not Bahraini, is very difficult if you're not fairly wealthy). 
  4. I think you have to be 30 in order to run, and you have to be approved by the election commission (not sure what those requirements are). 
  5. These are only the third set of elections.  2002 was the first time that Bahrain elected the parliament. 

If I'm able to visit an election tent, I'll see if I can take some pictures and post evidence of my indoctrination!

No comments:

Post a Comment