Nov 5, 2010

Work Project: Al Raja's New Website

Some of you know that I'm working for Al Raja School again. I've been fortunate enough to be able to teach some classes and spend part of my time on administrative oriented projects.  The most recently completed project is a website.  Here's the front page:


Now, I know my way around a computer and the internet as much as your average 20-something.  And maybe a little bit better than average.  But I'm certainly not a programmer.  Or a graphic designer, for that matter (I really do rely on Alison to determine outfits that look good).  So I must emphasize that this is no programing or designing feat I've accomplished.  So how did I do it?

I used Weebly - a Content Management System, or CMS.  CMS could also be called "website making for people who don't have any idea how to program."  And Weebly is the king of CMS's.  Seriously, if you can't figure out Weebly, then you have no business being on a computer at all.  And since its created so even my 95 year old grandfather could create a site, its got lots of templates.

Weebly is also great because it automatically integrates our domain name with Google Apps.  Through Google Apps, we now have access to many of Google's products through our own domain name.  For instance, my new school email is webmaster@alrajabahrain.org.  And not just email.  Docs, calendar, chat, sites, and basically anything else that comes with a Google account.  Including Google Analytics.

Analytics is fantastic.  By inserting a small piece of code in the Al Raja Website, Analytics tracks all the users who come and generates about 50 different reports on visitors to the site.  A lot of it isn't useful to the school because we are a non-profit institution and we don't make sales on our website.  But some of it is useful.  And regardless, I love seeing graphs and charts.  And it automatically generates all sorts of graphs and charts depending on what you want.

I've said it before, but I love Google.  Some people think they're taking over the world, and maybe they are.  But I'm ok with that.  I'm ok with that.

Anyway, that's my latest project.  If there are more projects interesting enough to blog about, I'll do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment