Jun 12, 2009

Baby Names and Bargaining

This week has been chock full of excitement. I did something this week that I had never done before - when I went to get my haircut, I also asked for a shave and beard trim. To be honest, I was a little disappointed. It was a little less smooth than I had anticipated, and there wasn't a significant difference in a self-trim on my goatee. However, after a haircut, the barbers here always give a great head massage, so all in all I was satisfied at the end.

The I got my haircut because I had a raggedy mop on my head, and it didn't look professional enough for the person who was running security at the school's graduation. Well, it probably wouldn't have made that much of a difference, but I felt more respectable. And we didn't have any problems this year. It was really great.

So anyway, onto the great adventures:

1. Baby Names: We've gotten some entries for baby names from people. There are even entities who would like to contribute to Morejosh Inc, and pay for naming rights. However, we wouldn't want to stoop so low as to sell the name of our baby. Unless you have a lot of money. Here are some suggestions:
  • Ross Montgomery Emily Louise Fender Mepham (going for the quintuple middle name)
  • Owen
  • Wycliff (actually, it's someone else's suggestion, but I'm stealing it anyway).
You can see in the side bar, too, the current size of our baby. Right now, its about the size of a small plump. The little guy is really growing quite quickly these days. Fingers and toes already, bones are starting to harden. Its quite amazing.

2. The worst barterer in the world: So my car needed some work - part of the muffler was shot. I took it to the garage. He said that he needed to completely cut out the section, and he'd weld in a completely new part. When I asked how much he said, "12 Dinars." (about $30). Now, this seemed reasonable as he was going to completely replace the part, so I just said ok. I didn't feel like it was too much to pay, and didn't feel the need to negotiate.

However, I think this confused him. I think he was expecting me to barter with him. In his confusion, he said, "Ok, 10BD." It confused ME. But yes, he actually LOWERED the price. I'm not really sure why.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, you know what my choice is, but he/she may already be used to being called "Round 2". So, perhaps you could make the best of the situation, and get in a nod to Indiana Jones, and called him/her:

"Shortround"

No time for love Dr. Josh.

--Owen

Anonymous said...

P.S.- I'm heading over to Saudi July 20th I believe, but I'm passing straight through Manama, and you may be in the states already. Bah. Well, that's ok I'll be incredibly busy for a few weeks right when I get over anyways.

Post a Comment