Feb 3, 2010

Grandma & Grandpa Perkins and the Problem of Baby-Crack

My parents flew out from Houston last week to be with us.  Ok, who am I kidding.  They came out to be with Eva.  In fact, the only reason we are any good to them now is our precious commodity of grandchildren.  But really, who can resist Eva's cute little face!?

It has been great having my parents here.  They've gotten to see some of the sites of Bahrain and meet some of our friends.  And it has been wonderful to have them here to help out.  They came at the opportune time, in fact, to help with the upbringing of their granddaughter.

You see, Alison and I had made the mistake of giving Eva baby-crack, or more commonly known: a pacifier.  Last week she was having trouble getting to sleep, and so we discovered this new toy that would calm her and send her to sleep - until it fell out of her mouth.  I was surprised at how quickly she 'needed' it in order to get to sleep or calm herself!  I don't know if other baby's are/were like this, but it turned into an ordeal. By the time my parents got here, it was obvious to Alison and I that Eva's addiction needed to be dealt with.  Unfortunately for Eva, we decided she would go cold turkey.

Oh. My. Goodness.

She cried and cried and cried.  And it wasn't just normal crying.  It was WAILING.  And even wailing doesn't seem to do justice to the noises coming from her little body.  If it hadn't been for my parents being here encouraging us (and helping to rock her to sleep!) we probably would have given the baby-crack back to her.  Partially because we felt horrible to hear her cry and partially because our nerves had a hard time taking all of it!

But she's doing better and better every night.  The last two nights she did pretty well and went down without too much trouble.  Grandma & Grandpa to save the day! In honor of that, here are some more pictures of Grandma and Grandpa with their granddaughter.

Cuddling with Grandma!


Intrigued by Grandpa's bright shirt.


"Who are you..." "I'm your Grandma!"


"Um... I think she needs a diaper change!"

1 comment:

Steponic's Economics said...

I couldn't find anywhere interesting to post this, so I'll do it here since I think "The Problem of Baby-Crack" would be a great title for your forthcoming book.

This is in reference to your "About this blog" comment: "I want to write my memoirs someday. I'm planning on just copying and pasting everything from here and sending it to publishers. I'll market it as "unrefined" and real."

Someone's already done the work for you:

"Turn your blog into a book! Blog2Print from SharedBook turns your blog into a soft cover or hard cover book. You pick the cover, add an optional dedication, then preview and you're done. Prices start at $14.95."

[Perry should blog about this in his "Markets In Everything" series...]

Post a Comment